Indian River County Junior Lifeguard Program
DATES AND TIMES
• Session I June 5 – June 16, 2017
• Session II June 19 – June 30, 2017
• Session III July 3 – July 14 2017
• Each session will meet from 8:00am to 12:00 noon Monday through Friday only.
• No Weekend Classes
• Tuition for one session is $125.00. One session per student.
• Tuition includes a Junior Lifeguard Manual, Uniform, USLA Membership
• Our program is open to girls and boys ages 9-17 years.
• All students must attend one of the tryout dates and pass both the swim and run requirements to participate in the Program.
• Run for 1/2 mile without walking or stopping.
• Swim 100 yards freestyle stroke without stopping under the allowed time.
||2:15 or under
||2:00 or under
||1:45 or under
||1:20 or under
TRYOUTS AND PARENT MEETING
We hold our tryouts and Parent Meeting at the Gifford Aquatics Center located at 4895 43rd Avenue, Vero Beach, FL 32967. For more information, please call (772) 388-4492 or the Gifford Aquatic Center (772) 770-5312.
- Wed. May 3 – Sat. May 6, 2017
- Wed. May 10 – Sat. May 13, 2017
- Wed. May 17 – Sat. May 20, 2017
- Wed. May 24 – Sat. May 27, 2017
Wed. times are 6:00pm Sat. times are 9:30am
The program's headquarters is at the Bethel Creek House, 4405 Highway A1A, Vero Beach, FL, across from Jaycee Beach. The student's time is spent in the classroom at Bethel Creek House, and around the waters at Jaycee Beach. Throughout the program we will also visit the North County Aquatic Center and other area beaches to become aware of the opportunities and hazards that exist at these other locations.
The contents of the program will include beach and ocean safety, lifesaving skills, techniques and procedures, first-aid and CPR, development of swimming skills, body surfing, body boarding, snorkeling, rescue watercraft, beach games and competition events with other Junior Lifeguard programs. *During the program, students are required at times, to swim a distance offshore in the ocean. We will also be running distances of a mile or more on some training days.
The goal of our program is to provide the youth of our community with a sound aquatic background and acquaint them with the hazards and opportunities of Indian River County beaches while exposing them to an environment that will teach courtesy, respect and good sportsmanship. We also offer assistance with career development to those who are seeking employment as a Lifeguard.
Our instructors are Indian River County Lifeguards who have been chosen as role models to work with the Junior Lifeguard Program based on their work history, lifeguarding experience and desire to work as a Junior Lifeguard Instructor.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Call (772) 388-4492.